A perfect meal to sit down to after a day on the ski hill or a walk in the snow. Make it ahead so that you can shake off the snow, take off your gloves and enjoy!
2 TBSP olive oil
2 onions, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 tsp salt
2 potatoes cut into ½ inch chunks
2 red peppers, chopped
8 cups chicken or vegetable broth 2 cups dry lentils (or 2 cans of mixed beans)
Two 28 ounce cans diced tomatoes
4 TBSP lemon juice
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp cayenne
- Add olive oil to skillet and cook the onion, garlic, carrot & celery over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, until the onion has softened slightly.
- Add red pepper, lemon juice & spices and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes (and their liquid), chicken broth, lentils & salt and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer gently for 25 minutes.
- Add potato, cover and simmer for 10- 15 minutes until lentils and potatoes are tender.
- Serve on its own, over rice or with your favourite bread.
*There must be a way to prepare this dish in a slow cooker to make it even more convenient. If you can suggest a slow cooker version, please email me!