Here is a delicious punch for special occasions that can be alcohol-free …or not! The syrup is an extra step and requires a few unusual ingredients (available at Save On Foods), but the taste is worth it!
Makes about 18, 6 ounce servings
Ingredients for the Cranberry Rosemary Syrup:
2 1/2 cups fresh cranberries (12-ounce bag)
2 ounces fresh ginger, skin on and sliced (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup sugar
3 cups cranberry juice cocktail, no sugar added
2 large sprigs fresh rosemary
Instructions – Cranberry Rosemary Syrup:
- Blitz the cranberries and ginger in a food processor until roughly chopped.
- Add to the sugar and cranberry juice cocktail in a 3-quart saucepan and mix.
- Bring to a boil, then add the rosemary.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Let cool, ideally overnight in the refrigerator.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer and discard the solids. You should have about 3 cups of thin syrup. Syrup can be refrigerated for up to 1 week or frozen.
Ingredients for the Cranberry Punch Mix:
1/4 ounce black tea leaves (decaffeinated if desired)
4 cups boiling water
3 cups Cranberry Rosemary Syrup
1/4 cup pomegranate molasses, without any added sweeteners
1/4 cup non-alcoholic orange bitters, such as Fee Brothers
Instructions – Cranberry Punch Mix:
- Place the tea leaves in a large heatproof bowl.
- Pour the boiling water over them and steep for 3 minutes.
- Strain out the leaves.
- Whisk in the Cranberry Rosemary Syrup, pomegranate molasses, and orange bitters.
Refrigerate the punch mix for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
Non-Alcoholic Cranberry Fizz
To serve a non-alcoholic drink, stir the punch mix together with 6 to 7 cups tonic water. Serve over ice.
Gin Cranberry Fizz
To serve an alcoholic drink, stir the punch mix together with 2 cups gin and 4 to 5 cups tonic water. Serve over ice.
Adapted from: Kitchn.